What makes a good email?
August 18, 2008 1 Comment
Email marketing is one of the cheapest ways to have an ongoing dialogue and relationship with your customers and prospects (ensuring they have all opted-in). So many companies get email marketing wrong because they expect they can put their press ad into an email and that’s it. Email is just like any other medium and must be given the appropriate levels of thought and creative crafting.
One of my favourite email marketers is Banana Republic (US clothing manufacturer similar to Witchery). Not only do they have engaging images of clothing (I love window shopping online), but they are consistent in their templates and always have an offer included. See below for the latest newsletter.
Why is this a great email:
- File size is under 30Kb (all images are hosted externally)
- Envelope information is clear (I know who has sent it and trust who this is coming from)
- Subject line contains the offer details and mentions new clothes (I want to open the email)
- Minimal background colour (meaning that it can’t be stripped out of some email clients)
- HTML link at the top of the email (if something happens to the email layout you can link straight through to a HTML version of the email, normally hosted somewhere on their site)
- Logo at the top left (no matter how I have my preview window set up – bottom or right, I know who the email is from)
- Consistent navigation (consumers know what to expect when they receive the email and can be linked straight through to specific areas on the site)
- Offer information is clear and at the top (I can see the offer before the clothes, so I will scroll down to look at the clothes)
- Engaging and bright imagery (similar to catelogues they have used great imagery to bring the email to life)
- Affiliate Banana Republic brand links at the bottom of the email (not shown in screen grab)
- Opt-out/unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email (not shown in screen grab)
What out for an email checklist/formula coming soon, but here are a few email resources:
- Email Labs Best Practice – overview of email best practice and hints/tips
- Campaign Monitor – resources for email campaigns
Written by Dominique Hind