The digital exam – for all new starters
August 19, 2008 Leave a comment
With digital professionals being in such high demand, a lot of companies settle for anyone who will come to an interview and seems to know what they are talking about. At a previous company, we debated setting an exam for all prospective employees just to understand their level of experience and passion for marketing/digital.
Whenever I interview anyone, the key thing I look for is a connection or the personality of that person. It is better to have someone that will be a great cultural fit than someone who won’t get involved with the company. Also, experience is important, but not critical. It is something that can be learned on the job.
A key measure of their passion for digital is a must and there are ten key questions that can help you gauge their level of passion:
- Which blogs do you read regularly?
- Are you familiar with feed readers? What do you use?
- Have you ever created a blog or written a post?
- How often do you comment on blogs?
- Have you ever uploaded a video to YouTube?
- Have you ever uploaded digital photos to a site like Flickr?
- What social networks do you belong to? Do you use them for personal, professional or both?
- Do you use your mobile for anything other than making calls?
- Do you have accounts on any microblogging sites such as Twitter, Jaiku or Pownce?
- What is your favourite website or the website you spend the most time on?
Very simple questions, but it will provide a quick view into whether someone is passionate about digital and whether you do want to employ them.
Written by Dominique Hind