Attitudes differ between Generations – Harris Interactive
August 30, 2008 1 Comment
Harris Interactive have recently done a survey (in the US called Rethinking retirememnt) on the different types of attitudes between different generations. The generation classifications are as follows:
- Generation Y, aged 13 to 31
- Generation X, aged 32 to 43
- Baby Boomers, aged 44 to 62
- Silent Generation, aged 63 to 83
- Greatest Generation, aged 84 or older.
Some of the key findings of the survey around attitude :
- Society impact: Baby Boomers (35%) are most widely viewed as having a positive effect on society, followed by Generation X (25%)
- Socially conscious: There is no consensus as to which generation is most socially conscious, but Baby Boomers (34%) and Generation X (26%) top the listAdmired: The Silent Generation (33%) and the Greatest Generation (30%) are the most widely admired generations, followed by Baby Boomers (22%)
- Generous: The Silent Generation (40%) and Baby Boomers (33%) are widely viewed as the most generous
- Productive: The two generations widely seen as the most productive are Baby Boomers (45%) and Generation X (32%)
- Self-indulgent: A 53% majority (including a majority of Gen Y itself) believe Generation Y is the most self-indulgent, followed by Generation X (25%)
- Innovative: A 41% plurality sees Generation X as the most innovative, followed by Baby Boomers (25%) and Generation Y (22%)
- Gen Y would like to rename themselves the “Internet Generation” (32%). They really dislike being called “Generation Y” or “Millennials”
- Gen X would choose to rename themselves “Generation Tech” (25%). They dislike being called “Generation X”;
- Baby Boomers are the only generation which seems to really like the name given to them (27%)
- The Silent Generation would re-name themselves the “Responsible Generation” (44%). They strongly dislike being called “Silent” or “Invisible”.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Widely-Held Attitudes about Various Generations Studied
- Um, Could You Not Call Us Gen Y Or Millennials?
- Naming a Generation