500 million Ap Store Downloads – Apple marketing messages
January 27, 2009 1 Comment
iTunes has changed the way we interact with musc, movies and TV. It makes it easy for us consume so much more wherever and whenever we want to.
Apple celebrated the 500 million app download on its website (see screens below) in January 2009, one of the many milestones for the iTunes store.
It’s great Apple openly share their milestones with consumers. It makes people feel part of the success. I definitely know feel part of the special community because I have helped contribute to the downloads across apps, music, movies and TV.
When users clicked through from this page, they arrived at an overview of the App store on the Apple page.
- Clean – these pages aren’t cluttered. They are beautifully designed with a lot of white space.
- Simple – as a user, you know where to click and what buttons will give you more information.
- User focused – the header and copy is written in a consumer friendly way.
- Openness – sharing the success helps build a community. It makes people feel like they are involved.
APPLE INTERESTING FACTS/TIMELINE
- January – iTunes launched
- April – iTunes Music Store launched in US
- April – Launched in United States
- May – One million songs sold
- May – 2 million songs sold
- June – 5 million songs sold
- September – 10 million songs sold
- October – iTunes goes cross-platform
- October – Available for windows. 13 million songs sold
- December – 25 million songs sold
- March – 50 million songs sold
- April – 70 million songs sold
- June – Available in UK France Germany
- July – 100 million songs sold
- October – 150 million songs sold
- October – Available to music lovers in the European Union.
- December – Available in Canada
- December – 200 million songs sold
- January – 250 million songs sold
- May – 400 million songs sold. Custom stores for music fans in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland
- October – iTunes Australia store launches
- October – iTunes movies launches
- October – 1 million videos sold
- December – 3 million videos sold
- January – 850 million songs sold
- February – 50 million videos sold
- February – 1 billion songs sold
- September – iTunes now provides games
- September – 45 million videos sold
- November – iTunes created Latino and Hispanic content
- January – 2 billion songs sold
- July – 3 billion songs sold
- July – 2 million feature length movies sold
- September – iTunes wi-fi store launched
- January – 4 billion songs sold
- June – 5 billion songs sold
- June – iTunes music catalog 8,000,000 tracks
- June – iTunes has over 20,000 TV episodes, over 2,000 films, 350 or so of which are available in high definition.
- June – iTunes sells/rents an average of over 50,000 movies each day
- September – 100 million apps downloaded
- October – 200 million apps downloaded
- October – 200 million TV shows sold
- December – 300 million apps downloaded
- January – 500 million apps downloaded
- January – 6 billion songs sold
- January – 15,000 third-party apps available