Vote Earth – Earth Hour’s 2009 campaign starring Shepard Fairey
February 23, 2009 2 Comments
While watching Earth Hour from afar (or while at another agency), I never thought that turning your lights out for 60 minutes would make much of a difference to global warming. I didn’t realise the campaign was created to encourage:
- a behavioural change ‘get people thinking about the environment’
- the big political powerhouses (EU, China, India, US, Russia, etc) to jump on the environment bandwagon and make some strong changes in Copenhagen (the new Kyoto).
The 2009 campaign is themed around ‘Vote Earth‘, where you have the ability to either vote for earth or vote for global warming. The campaign targets and objectives are high: get 1,000,000,000 (billion) people to be involved. Involved is quite loosely defined, but it means to talk about, take part in, think about or be involved with Earth Hour.
This year’s campaign is going to be big.
- Shepard Fairey has already created the posters (see below).
- Cold Play provided the music for the TVC.
- YouTube are launching the TVC exclusively online.
- Cate Blancett stars in the TVC.
- WebCentral (Melbourne IT) are helping out with the microsite hosting.
How do you get involved?
- Go to www.earthhour.org/voteearth and register your interest
- Tell everyone you know about Earth Hour (blog about it, Twitter about it, join Facebook groups)
- Go to YouTube and have a look at the TVC.
- Just get involved
- Turn your lights off on 28th March, 2009.