Apple does Local Area Marketing (LAM) – OMG!
September 13, 2010 3 Comments
In a world where there is constant debate around the relevance of email due to the introduction of social networks, Apple has started to target local consumers with local area updates (or more specifically local area marketing LAM).
Apple has always been great at their email design, but there has never been any smarts to any of the emails they send, ie no proper data work before their email sends, they don’t recognise what products/software you own or have registered with them and they constantly repackage global emails and deliver them locally.
However, over the past month, Apple have sent out two emails both focusing on the Australian or, more specifically, the Sydney market. They are actually using their database for local area marketing (LAM). The two emails were to announce the following:
- New Apple store opening in Castle Hill
- Filmmakers camp for kids during school holidays.
As expected from Apple, both emails are beautifully designed and have very strong headlines and calls to action.
My only question about these emails is: Is this a new start for Apple emails or is it a once only?
NEW APPLE STORE – CASTLE HILL
FILMMAKERS CAMP EMAIL
WHY THIS IS GREAT?
- Apple are starting to look at their database. They have only sent out blanket communications for such a long time. There was no smart data work done prior to any email send.
- Apple are starting to use their database properly.
WHY THIS ISN’T GREAT?
- Even though Apple are starting to use their database properly, they still don’t know that I don’t have kids. A simple data capture exercise or incentivised survey would have helped them know and understand this.
- My expectations have been lifted and I am now expecting local emails from Apple. I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get them (but it won’t stop me loving Apple – sad).
ASSOCIATED APPLE & EMAIL MARKETING POSTS I’VE WRITTEN:
- Air NZ email update – simple, but I love it
- T2 – the best tea, but the worst newsletter program (emails)
- How companies are recognising customer’s birthday? Sephora email
- How to make an email look great but work from a template – Air NZ
- What’s working in emails? MailerMailer email marketing report (June 2009)
- Who has the best designed emails? Air NZ
- How to make the most of email templates? J.Crew
- Do you need a welcome? J.Crew thinks so
- How to encourage sales by email? Bluefly
- What else could Apple be doing in their emails?