June 11, 2009 Leave a comment
While doing an email review of J.Crew, I came across three key templates that they use for all of their email communications.
- Sales email: this is a headline (text) lead email on a block of colour (usually pastel) promoting an upcoming sale or the final days.
- Single product email: this is a single product/image lead email with a strong headline supported by minimal copy. The image is usually of a female wearing the products. It focuses on one product or feature (new online catalogue).
- Mulitple product email: this is an email that promotes multiple products from within the J.Crew range. The products/images are the hero and can either be worn or are product shots. There is minimal copy to support the images.
The great thing about J.Crew is they use these templates, but they are not restricted to them (see screens below).
1. SALES EMAIL
2. SINGLE PRODUCT EMAIL
3. MULTIPLE PRODUCT EMAIL
- Email header: in every email header there is an overview of the offer, a click to view images and viewing on a mobile device. This is standard across all of the emails.
- Navigation: the key navigation is consistent across all emails. The logo appears at the top and all key sections are constant. The forward to a friend option is highlighted.
- Unsubscribe: this is constantly included at the bottom of every email.
- Headline driven: all of the above templates are headline driven. Very different to most email programs, where the images drive all communications.
- Minimal copy: even in the multiple product emails, there is very little copy. The images and the headlines are the heroes.
- Do you need a welcome? J.Crew thinks so
- How to encourage sales by email? Bluefly
- What else could Apple be doing in their emails?
- Overview of Apple’s email marketing
- What are the commen elements in Apple’s emails?
- Why does everyone love Apple’s emails?
- How many emails is too many? Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ and Apple
- What questions to ask consumers to tailor email communications?
- What are email best practices?
- How to ensure subscribers see HTML emails?
- What & when retailers send emails? Tesco, Coles & ALDI
- Coles Supermarket – great email communications & templates